A Short History Of Malone RFC
Malone Rugby Football Club was founded in 1892 by residents of Malone Park, Belfast. From this beginning, with thirteen playing and a dozen non-playing
members, the Club has grown to one of the largest and most successful Clubs in Irish Rugby.
After two successive Junior League wins, the Club was granted Senior status in 1896 and played its first game at this level against Collegians, losing, but acquitting themselves very well for a newly promoted club. Our first Dublin fixture, against Monkstown followed on 27th December, 1897 and in 1903 we first played against cross-channel opposition when we hosted the
In 1932 the club changed its name to Malone Rugby Football Club and in 1935, having been itinerant since its formation, gained a permanent home when we rented Gibson Park, which we then purchased in 1953. Our 'new' brick pavilion was built in 1967, and with several additions it continues to provide first class facilities.
Over the Club's 105 years, its members have achieved many successes, both on and off the field. Over 50 Ulster League and Cup wins at all levels and at the top, twenty two Malone men have represented Ireland in full internationals, five in A or B matches, two at Under 25, five at Schools, one at Under 21 and one represented Scotland B; over 200 caps between them.
Also we have had six British Lions, seven IRFU or SRU tourists and eight Barbarians.
On the administration side Malone has provided six Presidents of the IRFU and fourteen Presidents of the Ulster Branch; and the memory of some of our illustrious members lives on in the Harden, McCrea and Crawford Cups.